Soaps and Entertainment  

Go Back   Soaps and Entertainment > TV Shows, Movies, and Music > Soap Opera Forums > The Young and the Restless

Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Soap Addict

Credits: 682,580
Thanked 15,089 Times in 10,525 Posts
Wink Latest Y&R News WK.1/15

What a great interview! I simply love Marla Adams

MARLA ADAMS dishes on the ups and downs of Y&R's Dina

INTERVIEW: Share a toast with Marla Adams as she dishes on the ups and downs of Y&R's Dina

by Kambra Clifford

Posted Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Young and the Restless' Marla Adams (Dina Mergeron) proves that she's right up there with Betty White when it comes to being one of the most talented, funny, and beloved dames of daytime.

If you thought ringing in 2018 with overflowing glasses of champagne was fun, wait until you read soapcentral.com's first interview of the year with the inimitable Marla Adams, famous for her role as The Young and the Restless' Dina Mergeron.

The quick-witted actress took time out of her busy schedule to share her thoughts on playing Dina's heartbreaking Alzheimer's story, which has been one of the most emotional and challenging storylines of her career.

Just as Dina and other Alzheimer's patients have their up moments and down moments, so too does Adams, albeit in very different ways. So grab a cocktail honey (as she would say) and get ready to ride the ups and downs of this very touching storyline given to the celebrated actress.

... On being UP for a serious challenge

“I feel a tremendous responsibility for the authenticity of this daunting disease. Hundreds of people have written in, and I just weep,” Adams admits of viewer response to Dina's Alzheimer's story. “Everybody has been touched by Alzheimer's in some way, from William Bell, the founder of this iconic soap opera that has been number one for so many years, who died of Alzheimer's, to the dear darling [former Y&R head writer] Sally Sussman, whom I believe lost her father [to the disease], to Mal Young, our current executive producer. I went to him and I said, "Mal, do you know anyone who's had this disease? Why do you want to continue to write this story?" And he said, "Me mum." Just like that. So I feel a tremendous duty to all the people who I want to lift up who are the survivors of this horrendous disease. I'm so touched because I know so many people that are close [to Alzheimer's in some way]. So many actors on this show have mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, lovers, whatever, that have this disease. And it's a privilege to be able to play this part the best I can.”

... On the DOWNside of soap opera work

“I am just loving doing this storyline, but I get scared because I have trouble with my lines. We don't have cue cards anymore, so you've got to memorize every dawg-gone thing!” she says with a laugh. “But we have great directors... and the editing is fabulous; you can't really tell where and when we go up on our lines. Although some days, I just sail right through. It just depends on the day. And you know, dear heart, I'm no spring chicken! With no work done! Even my hair is natural! [Laughs] But anyway, everybody on the show goes up on their lines. Except Eileen [Davidson, Ashley Abbott]: she's like a machine! She remembers everything, and Peter [Bergman, Jack Abbott], too.”

... On Dina's unpredictable UProarious moments

“Oh my God, I'm hilarious!” she jokes. “And I'm a naughty girl -- not in real life, but I'm a great tease, and it's more fun than anything. I always use [her comedic bitchy side], as it's something Dina had before she had Alzheimer's, but now she has the Alzheimer's on top. But what is so wonderful is I love working with Peter Bergman and Eileen Davison and Beth Maitland, who plays Traci, the common denominator in that whole family who tries to keep the peace with all the Abbott nuts that we are, running around! They have been so wonderfully helpful, especially Peter, from the very first day when I walked in. So supportive. I remember going into the makeup room, and there was [makeup artist] Patti Denny, and she took me into her arms and said, ‘Welcome home, Marla.' Not welcome back, but welcome home. And that's how they have made me feel. And every time I go into the Abbott living room, they may have changed the pillows or something like that, but it feels very close and comfortable and homey to me, and that's where most of my scenes are played. I had one scene where Dina is lucid, and I may be paraphrasing because it was several shows ago, but Dina says to Jack, while they're standing by the Christmas tree and putting on ornaments, ‘My memory may come and go -- mostly go -- and when it does, I just want you to know when I become too difficult for you to handle that I love you, now and always.' And then there are hilarious scenes that I have with Judith [Chapman, Gloria Abbott] and Melody Thomas Scott [Nikki Newman] -- whom Dina calls strumpets and bitches! I am very, very awful to them, and they deserve it! Of course, they give it right back to me. But I love to be funny in those scenes, because at times, it really is hilarious, some of the horrible things she says. And to keep that humor in all the tragedy is very important, I think, in any storyline; it gives it depth.”

... On Dina's DOWN moments with her children

“Jack and Dina have always been joined at the hip. He was the one that she loved the most, quite clearly,” she surmises. “And then what she did with this Davis guy, my God, it was just unbelievable for Ashley to not be an Abbott, that her father was this guy. And I think Eileen is doing a brilliant job trying to love me but having so much animosity and not hatred but disappointment that her mother left the family. And as a mother [in real life, I can say] I would never, ever leave my children. So that is hard for me to play, but you know, they give you the script and you have to do it. That's all there is to it. But I think she's coming around. Jack loves her, and the business part of it, I don't think he would ever push her out. But the hatred for Graham - - which is coming to fruition now, because some very exciting things will be happening - - I don't think it's because I willed money to Graham, because they're both independently wealthy, but more because Graham is bad, bad, bad for Dina. So Jack has always loved his mother very deeply, and I think Ashley will come around, and we'll just have to see. There is no cure for Alzheimer's, so I don't know how long I'll be on the show. But Mal said we're going to [continue] it as long as we can, because the feedback has been really, really phenomenal.”

... On being able to UPlift viewers

“The feedback from fans on this emotional story is beyond measure,” Adams shares. “This story gives them a reason to feel hope and joy, even though there has been no cure for Alzheimer's. The story gives them comfort, and if I can supply that and touch people just a little bit... [pauses] I'm going to start crying now because I can't believe that out of all the parts I've ever played - - and I was on Broadway when I was eighteen with Peter Brook, who directed me in The Visit, which is a very wonderful play starring [Alfred Lund and Lynn Fontanne], who were the quintessential couple in the American theater, and I worked with [Elia] Kazan in Splendor in the Grass, so many great people in movies and films - - but I've never, ever had a part like this. And that means so much to me.”

... On stepping UP Alzheimer's research donations

“I made a contribution recently to the John Douglas French Alzheimer's Foundation,” Adams says. “The foundation was founded by John's wife, Dorothy Kirsten, the great diva of opera, because he had it and died. I've been to several of her luncheons and... I made a contribution this year, because every penny that you donate to the John Douglas French Alzheimer's Foundation goes for research. 100% goes for research, and that's a comfort for me to be able to know that I can make a little, tiny bit of difference.”

... On perhaps going DOWN in Emmy history

“I submitted myself for an Emmy, which you have to do, and I'm getting tremendous feedback from my fans,” she shares. “Time will tell, but that would be the nice icing on the cake. And if that should happen, I would dedicate it to all the caregivers that are still alive, and I would look at [our late show creator's wife] Lee Bell in the audience and know that even though her husband is up in heaven, romping around with Jeanne Cooper [Katherine Chancellor], I would lift her up and I would lift all those up that are left desolate and yet understanding what really happened... the hero in all of this is not the dementia patient, it's those who have to deal, to comfort and be their caregivers and to get through all of that, all of the ups and downs, and to continue on with those memories after that loved one dies.”

... On when Dina's DOWNward spiral will take her off the canvas

“I don't know how much longer I'm going to be aboard. I know Mal wants to milk it as long as he can, and I certainly want that to,” she says. “I will dedicate whatever it is, all my time and love, for the privilege of playing this character. I read the scripts, and I just weep. Sadly, people who don't watch daytime don't give daytime people much credit. But we are absolute innovators in attacking and starting storylines that have never been done before.”

... On the UPside of Dina's eventual end

“When I was on The Secret Storm fifty years ago, I played Belle the Bitch, and I remember... I was supposed to have a fatal disease on the show, only to play for six months,” she recalls. “Well, what happened was the disease was nephritis. Well honey, Marla Adams had nephritis when she was a child, a tiny little baby, and guess who's still alive? So I stayed until the show went off the air. But what was so wonderful about it was to play that character. And that had always been my favorite character until this Alzheimer's story. So it's kind of neat. I feel like my book ends here. After Dina is gone, I can go off into the sunset with not a heavy heart, but a joyful one.”

http://soapcentral.com/yr/news/2018/..._interview.php

Last edited by sandellbisquit; 01-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Soap Addict

Wink

HER BABY WAS BORN A MONTH SOONER...

‘Young And The Restless’ News: Melissa Ordway Gives Birth To A Healthy Baby Girl, See The Photo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSGXgDeAMFI

Melissa Ordway spent months holding bags and folders just right trying to hide her pregnant belly while portraying the not pregnant Abby Newman. That has come to an end as Melissa Ordway gave birth to her second daughter on December 9, 2017. With the actress now on maternity leave, that means Abby might be heard from during her recent trip to Paris with Lily (Christel Khalil), but she won't be seen onscreen for a while.

Baby Sophia Jolie Gaston joined her big sister Olivia, who Ordway and husband Justin Gaston adopted in 2016.

http://soaps.sheknows.com/the-young-...ngs-and-goings

REAL TALk - The pressure of having babies in your thirties and choosing adoption!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAFouFhMx7g

Last edited by sandellbisquit; 01-12-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Soap Addict

Wink

GINA TOGNONI

#yr What who’s this guy !? #lovemyjob cause you bring it ! @MyJasonThompson #HappyFridayVibes
https://twitter.com/ginatognoni/stat...7%2F2%2F%23new
Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Soap Addict

Wink

Jennifer Gareis‏Verified account
@JenniferGareis

#FriendsForever @sharonlcase @TamClatterbuck @daytimediva @BaltaireLA

https://twitter.com/JenniferGareis/s...29957938720768
Old 01-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Soap Addict

Wink

Soap Alums Bring Love & Romance to Hallmark Valentine’s Day Premieres

http://soaps.sheknows.com/soaps/news...-day-premieres
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Soap Addict

Wink

THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS Spoilers 1/15/18 — Is Graham Plotting to Murder Dina?

Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

By Chris Eades

A romantic trip to Paris could be a fresh start for Lily and Cane, but Graham’s next move could be the end of the Abbotts in these shocking spoilers from the coming week on THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS! Is there anything anyone can do to stop Graham before he does something horrible to Dina?

Inspired by Bill’s suggestion, Cane decides that a grand gesture is what he needs to win back Lily’s heart. And what grander gesture is there than a trip to Paris? “I want you,” he insists to his estranged wife. “Do you want me?” But while Cane believes this could be a new beginning for them, when Lily considers leaving, it could mean the end! “Do I stay or do I go?” she muses in the hotel room, already wearing her coat. Then she’s in the airport looking at the displays of flights and seeing the one for Genoa City. Will she leave France —and her marriage — behind? Or can Cane convince her to give him another shot?

The Abbott family was stunned when Graham revealed that he and Dina were married, and therefore he has final say as to her treatment, but they’re not about to give up on their matriarch that easily. “You’ve played your last card,” Jack warns the guy. “Game over.” But what they don’t know is that Graham was the one who broke into the Jabot lab and stole the volatile chemicals. After he uses a syringe to extract one of the chemicals from a vial, Graham leans over a sleeping Dina to give her a gentle kiss on the forehead. Is he planning to murder his wife so he inherits her fortune? And can anyone stop him from hurting Dina?

Don’t miss this tease for the thrilling week to come, and for more Y&R previews, keep reading the CBS edition of Soaps In Depth magazine!

FINAL CHAPTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDoxD3tYhf8

http://www.cbs.soapsindepth.com/post...er-dina-151360
  
Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Soap Addict

Wink

Sweeten The Distance by, Neal Casal; Performed by Tristan Lake Leabu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOlEMPgbx38

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````

Who Plays Reed on Y&R? — Meet Tristan Lake Leabu!

Updated: Jan 12, 2018 12:18 pm

By Chris Eades

Kids grow up so fast, especially on soaps, where they’re often hit with a case of SORAS, or Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome! For instance, on THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS, Victoria and J.T.’s son, Reed, was a towheaded little tot played by Max Page when he left Genoa City, and recently returned as a teenager now portrayed by Tristan Lake Leabu!

Leabu got an early start on his show business career, making the decision to be a performer at just five years of age, but luckily he had the full support of his parents, who had also worked in the biz. “They’ve definitely helped me along through every passion of mine,” he told Soaps In Depth, “and made sure whatever I chose to do, they would support me through it.”

In 2006, the young Leabu landed his first major role as Jason White, Lois Lane’s son in Superman Returns. That movie starred ONE LIFE TO LIVE alum Brandon Routh (Seth) as Superman, who was revealed to be Jason’s real dad when the kid developed super powers.

For his work on Superman Returns, Leabu was nominated for the Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor and took home the Young Artist Award for Best Performance in a Feature Film — Supporting Young Actor. As his career progressed, Leabu made an appearance in an episode of HAWAII FIVE-0 in 2012, and had roles in the films All American Christmas Carol and The Christmas Spirit.

The young actor is also a talented musician, as fans of Y&R have seen with Reed’s performances on the soap. Leabu plays the guitar, piano and drums, and hopes to showcase all of his talents on the soap. For another demonstration of his musical skills, watch him sing Neal Casal’s “Sweeten the Distance” right here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOlEMPgbx38

As his career takes off, Leabu has the talent to make it big in Hollywood, and also the best support from his parents. “They taught me to be grounded and level-headed, but I know how challenging this business is,” the young star admitted. “But they’ve always been there to help me around through the process, and keep my spirits up.”

For more about Leabu and the other stars of Y&R, be sure to keep reading the CBS edition of Soaps In Depth magazine!

http://www.cbs.soapsindepth.com/post...e-leabu-127385

Last edited by sandellbisquit; 01-16-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM
Soap Addict

Wink

Thad Luckinbill Reveals Why He Returned to THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS

Jan 11, 2018 4:56 pm

By Chris Eades

It’s been one month since Thad Luckinbill returned to THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS to play J.T. Hellstrom, and the actor participated in a Facebook Live chat with fans to answer some of their burning questions. While he admitted he couldn’t spill anything about upcoming storylines, he did reveal what brought him back to daytime! “This show means a lot to me,” Luckinbill confessed. “I’m really happy to be back.”

Luckinbill joined the cast of Y&R in 1999, and after he left in 2010, found success with his production company Black Label Media that produced critically-acclaimed films like Sicario and La La Land. But the actor admitted he was always in touch with the soap. “I had talked over the years with the show about doing little things here and there,” Luckinbill confided. “I remember one example was they wanted me to bring Reed back when he came back to Genoa City. I wasn’t available. I’ve done some other things in TV and film the last couple of years, so I wasn’t always available when they would call or when they had an idea. But this time it worked out perfectly!”

He also was impressed at the storyline that headwriter/executive producer Mal Young created for him to play. “He came up with this great story to bring me back,” Luckinbill enthused. “He’s written it very powerfully and I can’t complain. It’s been a lot of fun to do. It’s been a lot of fun to work with all these old friends.”

And while returning to work with his old castmates was wonderful, Luckinbill admits that the person he was happiest to see again is actually behind the scenes! “I’m gonna be honest,” he smiled. “There’s a guy in the commissary who makes all of our food, his name is Miguel. He has been here for 30-plus years. He is amazing. He makes me a breakfast burrito every morning.It’s the thing I look forward to more than anything in the world and I’ve missed it for the last seven years. When I walked in and he saw me, I didn’t even have to order. He just started making my burrito. It was the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me.”

Another trivia fact Luckinbill let slip was that he originally auditioned for the role of Billy Abbott, which went to David Tom. “But they started bringing in friends and buddies,” he revealed. “So they brought on David Lago to play Raul, and they brought on J.T. to play sort of the edgy not-so-good influence friend. So of course, naturally I got that part!”

He also recalled his favorite storyline during his decade-long run being the relationship between J.T. and Colleen. “Sort of discovering that with the writers and also as an actor,” he said, “trying to figure out how to make that cool and something the audience really likes. That probably still is the most meaningful story because it kind of came out of nowhere and it was a fun discovery.”

While Luckinbill didn’t say anything about how long he would be sticking around Y&R, he did tease that there was a very good possibility that J.T. and Reed would be performing together, so you’ll definitely want to keep an eye out for that!

For more on your favorite Y&R stars, keep reading the CBS edition of Soaps In Depth magazine!

http://www.cbs.soapsindepth.com/post...estless-151181
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM
Soap Addict

Wink

THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS Casts Shanica Knowles as Simone!

Jan 11, 2018 10:29 am

By Chris Eades

Actress and singer Shanica Knowles has been cast on THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS in the newly-created role of Simone! She is a talented singer on the verge of stardom who music mogul Devon Hamilton takes under his wing. the actress/singer is currently slated to appear in multiple episodes beginning on Friday, Feb. 9.

“Thank you to everyone in casting, the producers, and the directors for believing in my vision and unique style as an artist,” Knowles shared on Instagram. “I am truly humbled and thankful for this opportunity. 2018 is going to be an incredible year!”

If the name sounds familiar, it’s because Shanica is the cousin of Beyoncé and Solange Knowles, but she’s a talented artist in her own right! Knowles made her acting debut in the Nickelodeon series UNFABULOUS, and has also appeared in HANNAH MONTANA and AWKWARD. You can also see her in the TV movies Jump In! and Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge, and Michel’le.

Get a preview of what you can expect from Knowles on Y&R with this Instagram video she shared of herself performing “Angel by the Wings” by Sia. She sounds fantastic and we can’t wait to hear what she’ll be singing on the soap!

The only question is, will Devon stop at just guiding Simone's career, or might he take a... deeper interest in the singer? Hilary would definitely have something to say about that!

For more Y&R casting news, keep reading the CBS edition of Soaps In Depth magazine!

http://www.cbs.soapsindepth.com/post...estless-151101
Old 01-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Soap Addict

Arrow

Tristan Lake Leabu as Christopher (REED)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCq1wfyJGFo